Wednesday, March 25, 2009

i have a crush on wallpaper

When we first moved into our house, the ripping down of horrible 80's style wallpaper consumed more time than I care to remember. This picture gives you an idea of what we were dealing with. The photo is courtesy of Flickr. It never occured to me to take a picture of our walls to preserve for posterity.


It was a traumatizing experience that left me with a pretty strong grudge against wallpaper.
To my surprise, I'm finding myself falling in love with wallpapered rooms. I'm enamored of the way wallpaper (pretty wallpaper) can completely transform the atmosphere of a room.


images courtesy of Domino & Budget Decorating

I'm not sure if I could take the plunge and actually wallpaper an entire room, but I like the idea of creating an accent wall. I also think that framed wallpaper is a very cool look. A huge canvas of wallpaper like this one behind a headboard could be a striking focal point in a bedroom and given the price of many wallpapers, it's also a budget-friendly alternative to wallpapering an entire room or even an entire wall.

image courtesy of Domino
So I've been researching wallpaper patterns and styles. The goal is to redo our master bedroom this summer. I've already started refinishing our furniture. (As soon as I'm over my bout with strep throat, I'll take some photos to post.)
In the meantime, I'll wrap up this uncharacteristically long post with some pictures of hand-stitched wallpaper that I came across. They're handmade by Claire Cole and they're stunning. The designs are actually stitched onto the wallpaper.




She also embroiders porcelain. Who knew such a thing was possible?

1 comment: