Sunday, March 22, 2009

marbleized easter eggs

This weekend, while battling a cold, I started decorating Easter eggs. I decided to start with a technique for marbleizing Easter eggs. I've always wanted to try this method, but it seemed like it would be impossibly difficult. Happily, it turned out to be quite the opposite. You start by putting a base coat of color on the egg. Then you add a few drops of oil (I used vegetable oil) in each dish of dye and you re-dip the egg. The dye sticks to the egg, while the oil repels and you end up with a pretty marbled egg. Full instructions here.

I took my eggs one step further. I diluted some Elmer's glue with a few tablespoons of water to thin it out and brushed the mixture over the eggs. Then I dipped each of them in some glass glitter. I love the sparkle!

I want to make enough eggs to decorate an Easter egg tree for a centerpiece. I like this one from Williams Sonoma.

But I don't like the idea of spending $69 on something that's only going to be out for a few weeks each year. So I think I'm going to create my own. I like this one from Martha Stewart Living:

It's not exactly a tree, but I like it anyway and since I already have a flower pot and some pussy willow branches, all I need to get is some foam to stick the branches into and some moss to cover up the foam.

No comments:

Post a Comment