Monday, April 27, 2009

dining room art

I've wanted to fill up this blank wall in my dining room with a display of frames for quite some time now. This weekend, the empty wall finally got to me, so I decided to put up the frames. I figured that it would take half an hour, at most. Much to my surprise, the project ended up taking over four hours!

I seriously underestimated how much time it would take just to hang the frames. Then I realized that the pictures I'd put in the frames really didn't go together well, so I decided to redo them. The bigger frames now hold the Hugo Guiness prints that I posted about a few weeks ago. I love how the silhouettes work with the dark frames.


The picture in the bottom middle of the display is one of the evening photos that I took.


And the two pictures on the top left and right are blueprints that I made yesterday. I make blueprints every year with my chemistry students to teach them about photosensitivity, but after seeing these PotteryBarn cyanoprints:

I decided to try making some of my own to use as art. I bought Nature Print paper from here. It was really easy (the package includes directions) and my five-year-old had fun helping me make them.




I'm going to try making some more blueprints with different plants. I didn't really have that much to work with since this was a spur of the moment project, but I think I can get better results using plants that will lay a little flatter on the paper. I used a piece of glass from one of the frames to press the branch down onto the paper before I set it in the sun, but it was a thick branch and I could only press it down so much without breaking the glass.

3 comments:

  1. It was worth the 4 hours..it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frames look great! Thanks for stopping by my blog...if you want the pillow, buy it AT the Brooklyn Flea. It's half as much as on line!

    ReplyDelete