Tuesday, April 7, 2009

dining room: before & after

This is what our dining room looked like when we closed on our house.

This is what it looks like now.


The paint color is the most obvious difference. We wanted a lighter color that would make the room feel brighter. We also switched out the sliding glass doors. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the new doors have larger glass panes that let in more light. I don't think it would be possible to have a room with too much sunlight! The dining room table and chairs were bought on a severe newlywed budget ($200 at KMart), but they work.
There's still a lot that we want to change. The picture that hangs over the sideboard isn't quite large enough to balance out that space. Eventually, I'd like to either find something larger for that space or find something to hang on the sides. The big vase on the sideboard (wedding present) will eventually be replaced.

I also like this crystal vase (birthday present) so it probably has a permanent home in the dining room.



One of the small fixes will be to fill up this very empty wall here.


I'm thinking of putting up a couple of frames in an arrangement like this:
We also plan to put up some crown-molding. My husband is my DIY hero.

And finally, we want to replace the brass chandelier with this dreamy one:


Just kidding! The chandelier we really want is this one from PotteryBarn:


Love those crystal spheres!

5 comments:

  1. Just painting the room has made a huge difference. I love to see before and after images and you have made it look lovely. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that chandelier...great choice for the room! We have that singing mirror for my son! Today he has learned to climb over it to get onto the couch! (He's one!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - your son is adorable! I love the picture of him on your Profile Page. Isn't it amazing how fast they learn how to climb onto everything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see your chandelier's details but the shape looks nice from my view. What about powder coating it in a more modern color?

    ReplyDelete
  5. After I posted this, I started looking at the chandelier and wondering if I could paint it to make it look better (and to save some money!) I was thinking of spray-painting it, but I'll definitely look into powder coating.

    ReplyDelete