Sunday, April 5, 2009

repurposed candleholders

This weekend I found these old candleholders in our attic. I'd forgotten all about them. I bought them years ago when I found them on sale at Michael's ($4 for the pair), but I never really liked them because their pewter finish didn't go with anything we own.
After a little thinking, I headed off to Michael's again to get a can of glossy white spray paint. This is what the candleholders look like now. Much better.

Then it occured to me that I could use them as serving pieces. I used a little ball of Museum Putty to stick a plate to one and a shallow bowl to the other. (If you haven't used Museum Putty before, it's basically like sticky Play-Doh. They use it in museums for securing breakables in their display cases so that they don't fall over and break. I use it around the house to make it harder for my boys to knock over and break vases and lamps.) Voila! Cake stand and footed bowl!

I think the bowl would be great for displaying fruit or a dip on a buffet.

And the plate is just the right size to hold a cake or a couple of cupcakes.

The best part is that, after a party, you can just take them apart again and not have to worry about where to store them.

1 comment: