Tuesday, June 16, 2009

last week of classes

Final Exams start on Friday and I'm in the process of tying up loose ends so that everything runs smoothly. This is what my desk currently looks like. Love those piles of books. Note the Spanish copy of Pride & Prejudice on top of my chem books. One of my goals for this summer (on top of everything else) is to practice my rusty Spanish.



I have a lot of glassware that needs to be sorted and put away.



Also, a lot of chemicals that need to get put away.



I also found out that I'll be teaching AP Chemistry starting in September. I haven't taught it in years - so I need to go through this manual to see if the College Board has added any new topics to the AP Exam.



I need to go through all of these books & binders to plan out the topics, lessons & experiments for the year. It takes a lot of work to put together a good class. Remember all the horrible teachers you had in high school? Yeah, that's what I try to avoid. I like it when my students remember chemistry as the class that rocked!
Fortunately, I used to teach AP Chem before I had kids and had loads of time to put together really obsessive-compulsive notes for the class. That's what those 3 binders on the top of the stack are.


They're filled with notes that look like this:
See, they've got logarithms and everything. Don't they make you want to hunt down a chemistry textbook so that you can spend a lazy afternoon calculating pH values and equilibrium constants? ;-)
So anyway, forgive me for my lack of blogging this week. Next week my schedule becomes a lot less hectic and I have a couple of projects in the works that I can't wait to share!

2 comments:

  1. Look at you - smarty pants! You would love Rachel at "Heart of Light" - she is a scientist too! I am impressed.
    Good luck getting everything finished and on your tests too.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you were a chemistry teacher on top of a fabulous design blogger! What an honorable profession...so dear to my heart for sure.

    You have given me a fabulous idea for a surprise for my daughter...Pride & Prejudice in Spanish!! This is my daughters all time favorite book and she has studied Spanish for over eight years. She will love this!

    Hope the end-of-year tasks are winding down and you can enjoy your summer.

    Thanks!
    Tricia - Avolli

    ReplyDelete