Thursday, June 18, 2009

lotus flower chandelier

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that I'm not happy with the chandelier that currently hangs in our dining room. It has a very classic shape that just doesn't fit in with the rest of our furniture, which is more contemporary. Also, it reminds me of a crouching spider everytime I look at it.


I've been looking at replacement options for a while now. Initially, I thought I would replace it with something like this from PotteryBarn.


It would look (sort of) like this. It's kind of hard to tell from my poorly photoshopped picture, but I think the style of this chandelier is still too classic for this room. I don't think it would look horrible, but I don't think it would ever look like it really belonged in the room, either.

So I'm finding myself drawn to very modern-looking chandeliers like this one in a room designed by Thad Hayes. This one is just beautiful. I've had this picture in my files forever and I can just stare at that light fixture for hours.


Our furniture in the dining room and living room is Danish modern and I think a chandelier like this would fit in well.
This lotus flower chandelier from Modern Dose is an affordable option. It's made of capiz shell that's edged with metal and I think it's tranquil-looking and striking at the same time.



Here's a mock-up of what it would (sort of) look like. I think I got the scale of it wrong and it would actually be a little smaller.

I have two reservations, though. The first is that I doubt it gives off a lot of light. This would be a real problem since the chandelier is the only light fixture in the dining room.
The second is that it looks like a dusting nightmare. The more I look at it, the more I find myself imagining the dust that would settle over every one of those capiz shell petals.
So I think a little more research is in order.

7 comments:

  1. What about a sputnik chandelier? Modern yet vintage all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a look at Lumens, there is a nice hanging drum which would look nice in your space, modern, clean, and simple. Take a look at that site and see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love that dandelion looking one, but I hear you on the cleaning....yowsa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the dusting - that would not be fun to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the drum pendent light sounds like a great idea. Simple and clean lines that will compliment your existing design...just my 2 cents.

    Tricia - Avolli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lotus flower chandelier! I have seen it in a home, but the room had a lot of natural light so it was hard to tell how much light it put out. There is a black version which might show less dirt and is equally pretty, I think.

    ReplyDelete