Monday, July 6, 2009

finished chairs

I've been taking advantage of the beautiful (look, blue skies!) weather to finish a project that's been hanging over my head for over a month.



I started with a set of these hand-me-down chairs.

I sanded them down, primed them and painted them. Then I added a coat of semi-gloss polyurethane over the top. I also reupholstered the seats and ended up with chairs that look like this.

They really brighten up the kitchen. Next on the agenda is to refinish the table, but I need a few days to recover my strength. After three days of sanding, painting, prying up old staples and using a staple gun to reupholster the seats, I feel like I can barely move my arms.
I apologize for the pictures being a little off, but it was really, really bright in the house when I took the pictures. Ordinarily, I would take them later in the day when the light is a little softer, but I wanted to take them while my son was napping.

9 comments:

  1. It was worth all the work!! the chairs look fabulous! You took granny and made her chic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these are fantastic! I love the pattern and color so much and the white, of course. You deserve a nice break after all that work. Well done, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did what the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - a fantastic makeover. They look gorgeous, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an amazing makeover... eddie ross style! Are you going to match the table or do something eclectic? I love the fabric you chose for the seats. That color is so versatile...gotta show us more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chairs look great. You have inspired me to do the same with some old chairs in my basement........oh wait....the moment and the inspiration are gone. (I got exhausted just thinking about it.) Great job!

    Tricia - Avolli

    ReplyDelete