Friday, July 17, 2009

summer decorating

I haven't been blogging much lately because I've been dividing my time between home and my mom's house. She's been undergoing a bunch of medical tests that have left her feeling very weak, so I've been helping out with the cooking and cleaning to make things easier on her. I'm thinking of ordering a cleaning service for my mom to go in and help her out until she feels better again.
In the meantime, though, I have managed to put a few summery touches on my own house. I spray-painted a few starfish with gold and silver paint.

I put them into a pair of apothecary jars I had along with some sand from my son's sandbox, some shells and some blue glass beads. They're like a bit of the beach inside.


I also found this coral sculpture at Target and bought it.
Here it is in the dining room.
Over time, I'd like to build up a collection of summer accessories - like coral and big seashells - so that I can give my home a beachy feel every year. If I had the budget, I'd love to cover the sofas in crisp white cotton slipcovers and add some casual pillows like these from Pierre Frey.


3 comments:

  1. I am not big on moving furniture around ... like where I put it ... but to have a different look different seasons is such a good idea...gives me that fresh makeover look I long for. Love the spray painted starfish... like jewels mixed with the natural colors in your apothecary jar. I too wish I could afford the white slipcovers... one day... perhaps... when the economy turns around and I can still manage to get out of my rocking chair! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete