Thursday, November 12, 2009

day trip

My older son had to go to the dentist the other day for a check-up. He dreads going to the dentist which, of course, means that I dread taking him. It's usually an hour of trying to soothe him and get him to cooperate with the dentist. By the time we leave, we're both drenched in sweat.
So I resorted to bribery this time. The night before the appointment, I told him that if he was really good at the dentist's, I would take him to the Museum of Natural History in NYC to see the dinosaur bones.






It worked like a charm! He's never been so good at the dentist's. And I didn't feel too guilty about bribing a six-year old since it wasn't like I was promising him candy or a new toy. This was a valuable educational experience!

He nearly passed out from excitement when he saw the dinosaur bones. I don't think he ever imagined that dinosaurs were so BIG.



He also loved the planetarium. And despite having been there before, I was as excited as a little kid just sharing his wonder at all the things that he was seeing for the first time.


all photos from Flickr due to my failure to check that my camera battery was charged :-(

Anyway, the point of this story is that I spent two weeks dreading his appointment and it turned out to be an incredible day for both of us. The two of us shared an adventure that we'll remember for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I always love happy endings. How was the Dentist?
    pve

    ReplyDelete