Sunday, January 10, 2010

antique gilded frame (sort of)

I'm feeling inspired by the cluster of frames in this photo. We have a large, blank wall in our living room that I think would look great with an eclectic group of frames. Since gold-leaf frames can get pretty expensive, I decided to try the DIY route.


I went up to our attic and brought down this frame. I have two of these that I bought at Sears when my husband and I first got married. I never really loved them, but they were on sale for $3 for the pair.


So I took out a gold leaf kit that I'd bought a few months ago and, following the directions in the kit, I applied gold leaf to the frame. I also replaced the flower print with one of my own photographs.


It was a pretty easy process, except for getting the gold leaf into all the indentations in the decorative trim, but I think the inconsistencies just give it more of an antique look.


2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I always think there's an art to decorating a wall w/ multiple frames...and I haven't mastered it!

    ReplyDelete